Monday, December 6, 2021

Blake's Birthday


Happy Birthday Blake! 25 would have looked good on you!

I've been thinking a lot today about the day Blake was born. I remember going to the doctor on December 5. He took one look at me and said, "You are so ready to have this baby! If there is room at the hospital, you can have your baby tomorrow." The nurse called the hospital, and there is availability tomorrow.  Aghhh! I freaked out a little bit since my mom couldn't be here that fast. I called her at work, and she said she could come. I made arrangements for Denya to spend the night with my visiting teacher, Shannon Voss. The boys got themselves ready for school and Keith Chadderdon drove them.

 Meanwhile Mom and Dad started out. It was snowing in Roosevelt and one of the windshield wipers wasn't working vey well. They stopped in Vernal at an automotive store and bought some new ones and had a worker install them. They had only gone a short distance and one of them stopped working, so they turned around and went back to the store. A man adjusted them and they worked just fine after that. The snow let up and it wasn't bad until they got to Vail and there was a sign saying that Vail Pass was closed. They kept going until the police had the road blocked off. They asked him what they should do and he told them to go to a parking lot and listen to the radio, so they did. Mom talked to some people who had been waiting since 1:00 pm and it was now 3:15 pm. Mom and Dad were quite worried, but they sat it out and the road reopened around 5 pm. They let all the semis go first and the snow was snowy and icy and full of ruts from the chains on the semis. The traffic was bumper to bumper at 30 mph.

Slow and steady wins the race and they eventually made it. When they came in the house no one was home and there was a note on the table saying Delwyn had taken the kids to get some dinner and then to the hospital to see me and meet their new brother. Mom and Dad got settled and Delwyn and the kids soon got home. Glenda, Susan, and Troy all called to make sure Mom and Dad made it since this was before the days of cell phones. They called me and I told them their new grandson was named Blake Garrett Palmer and he had a lot of dark hair. I was quite worried about my parents driving in the storm and was very relieved when they called to say they had made it.

Mom took great care of all of us. She stayed for a week and made cookies, cinnamon rolls, and yummy dinners. She got the boys off to school, played with Denya, and loved on Blake. Denya had a small cabbage patch doll named Penny that she loved. Whatever we did to Blake, she did to Penny. She gave her baths, put on lotion, fed her bottles, wrapped her in a blanket, and rocked her to sleep. It was the cutest thing. Some of my best memories are when my kids were born and Mom came and took care of all of us. I felt loved, taken of, and pampered.  Mom was sad when she had to go home.

Thank goodness my Mom was a good journal keeper! I called her to see what she remembered about Blake's birth and she got out her journal and read it to me, so that's why I have so many details. I wish I had kept a journal over the years.

Meanwhile, I was induced. I have my babies pretty quick, and start to dilate early, so that's why they like to induce me. They don't want me to have a baby in the car and I don't want that either! I had a pretty easy labor, an epidural, and Blake was born at 12:47 pm, weighing 8 lbs 4 oz and was 21 inches long. 

Blake made a big impact on many people in his life. We were so blessed to have him in our family. We love him and miss him so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment