Sunday, December 26, 2021

Nativity, Chiming, and Gift Exchange


We packed a lot into tonight! We started off with the nativity. I wanted the Utah kids to be here, so we waited for them even though it's one day after Christmas. Denya has been the donkey every year and she does such a great job of carrying Mary, played by Millie this year, and Kade was such a good sport to jump right in and portray Joseph. Kade has the linen bag for goat cheese on his belt and Denya made sure there was no prodding the donkey this year. (From the Primary song, "When Joseph Went to Bethlehem," that we incorporated into our nativity the first time we did it.)


The shepherd with her sheep. Britta did a great job of making a last minute sheep costume!


The angels appear to the shepherd to share the great news that baby Jesus is born.


It took some persuading to get 3 wise men. Austin is usually willing to participate. This is Wade's first year for the nativity. He was a little hesitant since he hasn't seen how we do it before. He usually has to work or Kimberlea's family is here. It was so fun to have his family and he came up with his own head wrap on the spot. We finally pressured Ryan into being the third wise man, and they each had a gift for the baby Jesus.


The wise men presented their gifts. Austin had a purple jewled box that we traditionally use, Wade had a Christmas ornament, and Ryan had a blue trinket box with a watch inside. Great gifts!


Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus with their gifts.


Most of the performers. I tried to get a big group picture, but some people (like the wise men) took off their costumes too fast.


The cute animals from the Nativity story aka two of my favorite girls who are always willing to act in our family nativity and it makes me so happy.


One of my favorite parts of the nativity is singing some Christmas carols afterwards. It's too hard to sing as we go since some of the performers are still in the kitchen, so we act out the story and then sing. Melissa and Emma are sick, so they weren't here. Melissa is always our accompanist, but Austin, Britta, and Ryan each played a few songs, so all was well.


We ended with "Angels We Have Heard on High," and even the kids sang the chorus. I just love when my family sings around the piano and I want this picture to stay in my mind and heart forever.


The kids could hardly wait to open presents, so we did that next. It was kind of a madhouse because everyone opened at once. I want to get a better system for next year. One option might be for me to give the grandkids their gifts at a different time and just use this party for the names they drew. I like to watch people open their gifts and it takes too long because everyone has 3 presents.


We are a family of 20 now. Wow! That's quite a bunch and I love them all so much! Having them all here for Christmas is my best present.


Dagny got this bracelet making kit from one of Austin's girls. I know Claire and Millie love making these, and I bet Dagny will too.


Grandpa and I gave Claire this flying saucer thing that looks like fun. You control it with your hand movements.


Dagny got this unicorn llama from Grandpa and I. It comes with surprise babies and you don't know how many there are. Dagny's only had one--CHEAP!! I think there should be at least two, and three or four would be so much more fun!


Millie loves to draw and is getting really good at it. She got this book from one of Wade's girls and I know she will love it.


We gave Lincoln this remote control car and I bet it will be so fun down their basement where there is so much room and hard flooring. He looks pretty happy with it.


This looks like a fun game! Who doesn't want to throw things?


Britta and Kade had both Wade and Kimberlea and wanted to give them a couple gift. They and thought and thought, and came up with


a fire pit! They have done a lot of work in their back yard and this will be perfect! I forsee lots of s'mores this summer for them.


I gave Landon one of Hannah's minky blankets. He has been wanting one, but they are a little pricey and we don't know how well they hold up to washings. Landon says his family is hard on blankets, so we'll see. He was very surprised. These blankets are super soft. Denya says her roommates reach for hers every time they watch a movie and lucky Britta has two of them since she got a second one from Hannah when she got married.


Denya got a record from Austin. I still can hardly believe that records are coming back. I gave mine to Goodwill many years ago and now I wish I had them. Grrrr.


Claire gave me this sweet butterfly necklace that says Grandma on it.


We had chicken tacos for dinner and then it was chime time! The kids all love it, some of the adults do and some of them not so much. Landon and Megan and their kids went home. We put too much into one evening and it was a little chaotic more than once.


We've learned from experience that Britta is the best at conducting the songs. You have to keep your eye on the music and don't look at people, even if they forget their number and miss their turn.


We did several Christmas songs. Some perfect on the first try, some we had a practice round or two and then they sounded perfect.


I love this picture of Maddie! Such a big smile.


Claire tried out her UFO and everyone wanted a turn. It's fun!


Tricky! Good balancing by Claire and Denya.


The wise man costume fit Lincoln perfectly and he was ready for the nativity. Isn't he just so cute and looks so sweet. I'm not sure what happened exactly (it had to do with hitting someone with his stick, I think) but he got mad and wouldn't do it anymore. The little stink. That's why we had to enlist three grownups to be the wise men.


The party ended and it's time to go home. Piggy back rides were requested by Austin's girls. This used to be a regular occurrence, but now only happens on special occasions. It started back in Texas when Debi used to give Claire piggy back rides to the car after Sunday dinners. When they moved here, we adopted  the tradition for awhile when Britta and Ryan were at still at home. When Britta was on her mission, Ryan and I continued, but now there is only me and there are three girls. They like to pretend they are riding horses from the show Spirit Untamed on Nexflix, so they choose who will be Spirit, Boomerang, and Chicka Linda, and they urge their horse along as we run around the circle and then take them to the car.


Or course there was some bum shaking going on before heading out the door.
Such a fun night! Merry Christmas round 2!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment