There are so many good people in this world! Someone started an Adopt a Senior page on Facebook. Parents of graduating seniors put them up for adoption, posting a picture and a little bio about them. Ryan was actually adopted by two families! The McKennas (their son Colin goes to CV and is on the swim team) and Leah and Brandon Brown (Brother Brown taught Blake and Britta in seminary and their daughter Lexi lifegaurds at the Rec Center with Ryan). Ryan didn't know anything about it. Britta and I teased him (a little too much) that he was getting adopted and he was getting quite grumpy. The McKennas were first to drop something off and they wanted to keep it a surprise until the end. They wrote a cute note about how excited they were to be adopting him. They started dropping things off in mid April and brought something about once a week for month, about the time graduation would have happened.
Some sweet treats to brighten up his weekend, plus some cool graduation glasses!
Saturday morning I went outside to start the water on the lawn and there was a bucket on the porch for Ryan. I just left it there until he was up and could get it himself. The Brown's wrote a nice note and gave him a TON of cool things!
Just a little excited about a bag of all red Starburst!
Cool dude!
Cane's gift card! Yum! One of Ryan's favorite places.
The next week Ryan got another drop off. Balloons are so fun and festive and make any occasion a party.
Homemade chocolate cheesecake!! Oh my word!! Can I just tell you how delicious this was?? Ryan was so kind to give me a bite and I HAD to get the recipe! Also a Chick Fil A gift card. This kid is getting spoiled big time!
I am so grateful to these families for making Ryan feel so loved and special during this difficult time. It really helps to know people are thinking of him and how hard it is to not get to participate in all the traditional senior activities.
A delivery on what should have been Ryan's last day of high school!
Quarantine t-shirts are so popular right now. How fun that Ryan got one!
This wasn't part of Adopt a Senior, but I thought this was a good place to tell about it. Loretta Johnson gave Ryan this neat Christmas ornament that comes with a little stand you can display it if you don't want to put it on your Christmas tree. She is such a thoughtful lady!
Another big tub of goodies for Ryan! There wasn't a card or note, I think it came from the Browns. Suzie McKenna usually texts me when she is dropping something off.
This happy face giggles when you squeeze it or throw it. Cute!
Super nice water cup.
This stuffed animal is adorable! It has a fan on the front that lights up with a couple of different sayings while it plays the song, "Celebration." I have a feeling that Ryan better hide if from Lincoln! He loves to push the button that makes the music play.
Wow! Isn't it amazing?!
Some of the treats and things Ryan has received from his adopted families.
They talked for a few minutes on the porch about swimming, their college plans, and how fun the Adopt a Senior plan was.
The porch was really sunny, so we went into the backyard to get a good picture. I didn't realize Ryan and Colin met each before high school swim team, they knew each other way back on the Cruisers swim team! How fun that the love of a sport is how they got to know each other. I think it made the adoption sweeter to have someone from the swim team be one of the families that showed him so much love. This was so much fun! What a great idea!
No comments:
Post a Comment