Debra Marie Whitley, known as Debi, passed away on August 6, 2016. She got West Nile Virus, which turned into meningitis. She was in and out of the hospital for about a month. She was at home, not really getting better, but not really getting worse, and she passed away in her sleep one night. Maybe it was a blessing-- meningitis robs your quality of life and leaves many lingering effects. It was quite a shock to all of us. Delwyn and I made a quick trip to Texas for the funeral.
Austin and his cute girls at the funeral home.
The pall bearers carry the casket to the grave site, Austin, her sons--Michael and Steven, her son-in-law Barth. The other two men might have been her brothers, I'm not sure.
Her casket was beautiful! Yellow was her favorite color. The flowers were so bright and cheery.
Getting ready for the grave dedication.
Austin looked so handsome! The boutonnieres were beautiful, the roses were huge and opened up all the way.
I'm so glad we were able to be here to support Austin and Melissa and her family. I just love the Whitleys. They are all so nice and kind and treat us so well. Our families have a lot in common and I have said before that if we lived close, we could have a lot of fun together.
It was a very hot day! This was the weather on my phone when we got in the car after we had finished at the cemetery. No one stayed very long because it was so hot.
Two of my favorite people! We had a very nice lunch at the church. Leah Blake and her dad sat at our table and it was fun to visit with them.
Melissa looked so pretty!
Melissa said she was too young to be without a mother and asked if she could adopt me. I was very honored! I sure love this girl! Mothers are such important people in our lives. Whenever anything good or bad happens to me, my mother is the first person I want to tell.
I have some big shoes to fill! Debi was an amazing lady--very organized, kind, busy, worked full time at a community college, and was dedicated to her family. She always invited us over to dinner when we were visiting. I learned many things from her: I started this blog because of her, I learned to take pictures of even the most ordinary things, receipts, eating at a restaurant, shoes. She had a small camera in her purse and would pull it out to take a quick picture anytime.She was always happy and cheerful, liked to talk, and was easy to talk to. She had a strong testimony and enjoyed talking about the gospel. I loved this lady! I will miss seeing her when we come to Texas.
Melissa's Dad, Mike, with some of his granddaughters. They gave him lots of hugs and love!

No comments:
Post a Comment