Saturday, August 6, 2016

Douglas County Fair Parade



Here we are, ready for the Douglas County Parade!  I'm wearing my band shirt in support of Ryan and the Douglas County High School marching band. It was cool day, about 72 degrees, perfect for watching a parade. Usually it is so hot, we are melting by the time it is over.


The American Legion comes first with the flags. 


More flags. I love to see the flags at parades! It gives me such a patriotic feeling, I love America!


This is the Douglas County Fair and Rodeo Royalty.


Dressed up as the founding fathers of our country. They had such great wigs and costumes.


Advertising the Ducky Derby.


The Sun City Band from Pueblo is in the parade every year. I am always amazed they participate in our parade, as it is an hour and a half drive and the parade starts at 9:00. I wonder what time they have to get up to make it here in time. They are a large group of 6th through 9th graders and always sound great!


I am thankful for those who raise crops. I am sure it is hard work 


Here comes the band!


We were on the opposite side of the street from Ryan, so I wasn't able to get a very good picture of him. He is playing the bass drum this year, it's the biggest one and I don't know how he can even see over it! He is on the second line of drums, fourth person over, wearing a hat and sunglasses.



My friend Lisa Ellis took this picture. Ryan looks happy, so the drum must not be too heavy. Keep marching!


The football team was behind the band. Go DC!!


Every parade has some clowns, of course!


The El Jebel Shriners Denver chapter is in the parade every year driving these fun little cars to promote their hospital help for children.


I love to see floats in the parade! They are becoming a rare sight anymore. Maybe they are too much work. I remember the UBIC parade as a girl and the floats were always my favorite.


I got a picture of Ryan after the parade with his drum. See how big it is! I'm curious as to how much it weighs. I did try it on at the band parent night and it wasn't super heavy, but I'm sure it gets heavy when you carry it for two miles in a parade!

I love the parade and have great memories of coming every year with the kids. They were so excited to see how much candy they could get. I can hardly wait until Dagny and Lincoln are old enough to come!






No comments:

Post a Comment