Saturday, May 20, 2017

Britta Graduates from Douglas County High School


Britta's graduation will be a memorable one! We had a huge snowstorm and graduation got pushed back a day. Graduation was scheduled for Friday, May 19. It started snowing Wednesday night and snowed most of the day on Thursday. News accounts said we got 6 inches, but I think we had more than that although it's hard to tell because it was windy as well.

There was some discussion from the school whether graduation should be moved inside or postponed for a day to give crews time to clean the field and hopefully some of the snow would melt. If graduation was moved inside, students would only be allowed 3 guests instead of the 6 they get when it is held outside.  Mom and Savannah are here, Wade and Kimberlea were planning on coming, plus Delwyn and I, so we needed all 6 of our tickets. Ryan didn't need one because the band was going to be selling water.

I was very happy the decision was made to hold graduation outside!  Tradition! Britta is the sixth Palmer to graduate from DC, so we have attended 5 graduations at the DC stadium. We have gotten sunburned and worn winter gear, so we have experienced it all.


It turned out to be a beautiful day! I love all the colors at a DC graduation, the purple robes, the green grass, the blue sky with mountains in the background. The graduates line up and march around the track to their seats.


It takes a few minutes for that many students to march to their seats. I feel so proud watching them, they have bright futures ahead of them as they go out into the world.


What an impressive sight!


I love principal Tony Kappas. I don't know him personally, but I know what he stands for and he is so much more personable than the previous principal. I think most of the students love him too.


The choir sang, "Seasons of Love." Britta is on the right, behind a microphone stand.


Mackenzie Rollins sang "Rise Up." She and Britta have been friends since middle school and have been in choir together.


Lining up to receive their diplomas! Britta was wearing black booties, so I looked for her shoes when I wanted to see where she was.


Britta receives her diploma! Yay Britta!


Britta and Riley coming down the ramp! It's nice that the school doesn't require sitting in alphabetical order, so the students can sit with their friends.


Principal Kappas presents each graduate a rose.


Heading back to their seats.


Brady Peecher was the faculty member that spoke at graduation. He teaches Economics and taught both Blake and Britta.


Good fun teachers make a difference in a student's education and I am grateful for teachers like Mr. Peecher.


Mr Loyd, the choir teacher, is another teacher I appreciate. Britta took choir all four  years and loved it. Mr Loyd was a good influence in her high school experience.


Lots of smiles today.


Britta has many friends.


Best friends! Britta and Riley.


These two love to give each other piggyback rides and we have lots of pictures of them doing it, so it was only right to do it today.


We are proud of you, Britta!


Britta and Ryan have really enjoyed being in school together this year and I know he will miss her a ton next year.


It has been so fun having Savannah this week. I am glad she could come and share in Britta's graduation. These two share a special friendship. 


It's fun having Grandma here too!


Having a big family means having more people to support you! Thanks for being here Wade and Kimberlea.


Brothers are the best!


I love this picture with the Castle Rock in the background.


We are taking lots of pictures today.


These two! They do this thing where Ryan comes running at Britta and jumps into her arms and she carries him. It's quite hilarious considering he is taller than she is. They call it the koala hug. So thankful for the relationships my kids have with each other.


More pictures at home without so many people in the background.



I love this girl!


Siblings make the best friends!


It is so fun to have Savannah celebrate with our family. She fits in perfectly.


Landon and Megan didn't attempt coming to graduation, their kids are just too little and would be quite a handful. They came over after graduation to congratulate Britta and to eat pizza with us.


What a cute graduate Lincoln makes! I'm surprised he will leave that cap on! 

Congratulations Britta on this milestone in your life! I'm excited to see what the future holds for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment