Sunday, April 3, 2022

Delwyn's Injury


After the morning session of General Conference, Delwyn went out to the garage to work on the stand he is making for his beehive. He took a good cut out of his fingers with the table saw. He came in the house holding his fingers tightly with his other hand saying, "Oh no, I did something bad," and headed straight to the bathroom. I can't look at large quantities of blood, it makes me nauseous and light headed. I asked if he needed a rag, he said, "Yes," and I gave him a washcloth. He wrapped it up and said he thought we better go to the doctor, so I knew it was bad. He resists going to a doctor unless it's absolutely necessary, so we headed to the ER. I think he was in shock, he was quite pale, had beads of perspiration on his forehead, and didn't feel much pain

He ended up with 21 stitches in two fingers. The ring finger is the worst, they called it a partial amputation, and he also needed a few stitches in his index finger. He said it felt like the top part of his finger was loose. They gave him an IV of antibiotics. They always have a hard time finding his veins and after two tries they gave up and got an ultrasound machine to help. 

They finally got it hooked up and going.


They took an x-ray, and he nicked part of the bone, so tomorrow we will need to see a hand surgeon. You can see a very thin piece of bone is all that is holding it together. I texted the family what had happened and told them that we were canceling family dinner, and Landon came to the hospital. It was nice to have him there. He also got the prescription filled and brought us dinner from Raising Canes, which we really appreciated.

Leaving the ER. That's a big bandage for 2 fingers worth of damage! Luckily, the pain wasn't very bad and Tylenol was all he needed to keep it in control.

Austin and the girls came over with cookies and cards. It was so sweet of them and it's always fun to see them. They were quite impressed with Grandpa's big bandage.

The cards were adorable!

I especially loved Claire's picture of her and Grandpa. Claire + Grandpa = an awesome team! How sweet is that?!

We have always spelled Millie with an ie. Not sure when or why she changed it to y. I wondered if Melissa knew she was spelling it that way.

Monday morning we saw the hand surgeon, Dr. Griggs. He said that a chunk of the bone is missing, but it is still lined up straight. Hopefully it stays aligned and grows back together. If surgery is needed to put in some bone filler or a pin, the wound will have to heal first. Headed home with a much smaller bandage! They want to see him again in a week. All the medical personnel who worked on Delwyn these past two days were so nice and kind. They are compassionate and really care about their patients. I am thankful for people who chose to study medicine and the body so they can take care of us when we need help. I could never do this kind of work because I am too squeamish.

Kimberlea brought us dinner tonight, pork chops, green bean casserole, rolls, and pie. It was so tasty and I was thankful I didn't have to make dinner. Our kids have really shown us love and support during this time. They really are the best!








No comments:

Post a Comment