Thursday, March 18, 2021

Big Snow Storm

They predicted this storm for an entire week. It was supposed to start on Saturday, so I went to Wal-Mart on Wednesday night thinking I had plenty of time to beat the crowds. Surprise! They were low or out of stock on several things, but I got everything I wanted except Swiss cheese and and I had to buy 2 percent milk instead of 1 percent and there were only a few of the 2 percent left. I noticed there were no eggs, no juice in gallons or cartons, and no hamburger. Good thing I didn't need any of those things!

The storm moved slower than they thought it would and we only got flurries on Saturday, but it was starting to come down a little harder when we went to bed. Sunday morning at 7 am we got an email that church was cancelled because the storm was still developing. It snowed all day and the wind started blowing really hard in the early afternoon. We decided it didn't make any sense to try and shovel until morning because the wind would just blow it right back.

Monday morning Delwyn was wondering how the chickens fared and wanted to check on them. This is what he saw when he opened the garage door leading onto the patio.

I could never find an official total for how much snow Castle Rock got, Delwyn's tape measure showed almost 17 inches in a spot next to the garage where he thought it hadn't drifted too much. Denver got 27.1 inches of snow, making it the the 4th biggest snow storm ever. I don't mind a big dump of now every now and again, it's kind of fun to be snowed in. Or course this week is spring break and it wouldn't be spring in Colorado without a snow storm. I would prefer a big dump before or after spring break. I was hoping the kids could swing, jump on the tramp, and ride bikes. I'm not a fan of making a snowman. Oh well.


The snow always blows and drifts onto the front porch and steps, even when we just get a little bit of snow. This time we could barely see where the steps were.

 

Crazy!! There's not much snow on the top of the table, but you can't even see the benches.


There's a lot of snow out there!


A big drift between the cars was pretty deep.


We got to work shoveling about 9 am and it took us about 2 hours. I did help! Next time I need to get a picture of myself to prove it so no one thinks I'm a slacker!




One problem was no place to put the snow we shoveled off the driveway. The piles got so high it was hard to lift a shovel full of snow to put on top. 
Good thing today is the beginning of spring break or I'm sure it would have been a snow day. Landon took the day off and kept his kids at home. Kimberlea is still on maternity leave and starts back next week, so I had no kids to watch. Travel would have been impossible this morning, I'm sure Landon's little car would have got high centered. We were out in the middle of the circle brushing off the Yukon and saw someone was stuck at the bottom on Mountain View Drive and people were pushing. 
By late afternoon the roads were in pretty good shape and we decided to get some take out for dinner. Most places were closed, we tried Santiagos, Chic Fil A, and Fuzzy's Tacos. Three strikes, you're out, we ended up with McDonalds. Not my favorite, but it beats cooking and dishes, so I'll take it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment