Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Texas Chicken Cousins







Even though I am not a big fan of backyard chickens, I was excited to see Melissa's chickens and her coop. She has wanted chickens for a long time! The city of Carrollton recently lifted their ban on backyard chickens, and so Melissa got 6 chickens for Christmas. I have heard a lot about them and was looking forward to seeing their set up. When Austin and Melissa bought their house, it had this tin shed on one side of the yard. It was a little rickety and they weren't using it for anything. Austin did some repair work and made a wooden door and it has turned into a nice home for their chickens. There is a good sized piece of grass for the chickens to be out in the sun when they aren't in the shed.

Claire and Camille love the chickens as much as Melissa does! The girls have rubber boots they wear to protect their shoes from the droppings.


The inside of the coop is divided in half. This side is where the chickens eat, roost, and will lay their eggs when they are big enough. The other half is where they keep the chicken food and other supplies chickens need.


Melissa lets the girls feed the chickens the heel pieces from their bread. The chickens love it and will jump up just like dogs will jump up for food. I was surprised to see they could jump!


Camille loves to feed them and breaks her bread into tiny little pieces.


All of Melissa's chickens are a different breed, so they all look different. I like this brown and white one, her name is Goldy. They all have names, the others are Airplane, Daisy, Midnight, Chipmunk and Zigzag. They should start laying eggs soon.



Claire isn't the least bit afraid or intimidated by the chickens. She can catch them herself and likes to hold them.


Melissa's favorite is Midnight.



Camille loves these chickens! 



She gives them hugs,


and loves on them! Who knew chickens could make such good pets? I hope these chickens know how lucky they are to have such loving owners!


 I'm glad Melissa's dream is coming true.


2 comments:

  1. These chicken people are all sorts of crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those rubber boots are too dang cute!! I'm making the picture of the girls my new desktop background!

    ReplyDelete