I was coming home from Book Club at Marti Pooley's in the Terrain and I hit a deer! It was about 8:30 at night and I was on Founder's Parkway, almost to the stoplight at Cooper Cloud Drive. Nancy Brown was ahead of me. I was following her with the average amount of space between us. I was surprised a deer would jump out between us. It happened so fast it took few seconds for me to realize what happened.
I was so scared! My heart was pounding and I was shaking. I pulled over at the stoplight into the Escavera neighborhood and got out to look at the car. A man behind me saw it happen and pulled over behind me to see if I was okay. I was, just shaken up emotionally. He said he would have his wife call "the number" to report it. I wasn't sure what he was talking about, so I just said okay.
Soon I could see a police car where I had hit the deer. I couldn't decide what I should do, so I got in the car and called Delwyn. While I was talking the police car pulled up. I guess they saw me and wondered if I was the one who hit the deer wanted to check on me. I stopped talking to Delwyn and got out of the car again. They asked what happened and I explained it to them. They said several people had called the dispatch to report it so they could move the carcass. They were really nice and said of course I wouldn't get a citation, but they make a report when these things happen. They took my insurance information and looked at my driver's license and made the report. They looked at the car and said they thought I would be able to make it home alright. They waited for me to start the car and drive away to make sure everything was fine. When I got to Highway 86 and started going faster, the car made making a rubbing sound, so I slowed down to about 25 mph for the rest of the way home. When I got home, Delwyn looked and a piece of plastic was rubbing on the tire. The radiator also has a leak in it.
What a night! I was pretty scared, but I'm thankful it wasn't worse, and I wasn't hurt.
No comments:
Post a Comment